Oregonian Railway(East Side) 1880-1890
Created 12/14/08
To Oregonian RY West Side
Back To Linn County
Back To Lane County
Back To Marion County
This trestle still stands in the middle of a farmers field, undisturbed since the line was
abandoned. This is just south of Tallman on the old Wilkins Branch. (12/27/07)
Looking north at the sets of steel tiers that used to hold the trestle crossing the North Fork of the Santiam
River. This is just south of West Stayton.(12/26/07)
Here is a closeup of the set on the south bank of the North Fork Santiam River. Note that
this area near the old trestle is a small county park. (12/26/07)
It looks as though old rails were used as armoring against the river cutting into the riverbank and eroding
the trestle. (12/26/07)
These pictures show the concrete abutment on the
south side of the North Fork Santiam River, and
marks the beginning of the county park. (12/26/07)
This is looking southwest at the grade after it had crossed Hess Road. (12/26/07)
Shelburn
This would appear to be some sort of out building from the railroad. It is located near the current railroad
tracks in Shelburn. (12/26/07)
The water tower sits on the west side of Shelburn where the Oregonian and C&E crossed. (12/26/07)
Tallman
Brownsville
Springfield
This bridge is the last thing the Oregonian Railway crossed
before connecting with the line across the Cascade's. You can
see that line in the background looking south, and the new bus
terminal when looking north. The tie plate impressions are still
visible, and not all of the spikes were removed. (2/22/08)
This control box was probably used in the days when trains would travel between the two lines. It is sitting
next to the old trestle. (2/22/08)
Looking at the east side of the Brownsville yards. The height of the doors on the left give testimony to the
boxcars that used to be loaded here. ()
Southern Pacific Crabtree to Lebanon 1910-1993(via Labanon) Created as an                 
        alternative route when bridge across South Fork Santiam River washed out in 1907
Southern Pacific West Stayton to Shelburn 1890-1963(Abandoned)
Southern Pacific Woodburn to West Stayton 1890-1993
Southern Pacific Ray's Landing to Woodburn 1890(Abandoned)
Southern Pacific Wilkins to Springfield 1890-1976(Abandoned)
Southern Pacific Tallman to Wilkins 1890-1985(Abandoned)
Southern Pacific Crabtree to Tallman 1890-1910(Abandoned)
Willamette Valley Railroad Shelburn to Lebanon 1993-2000(Leased)
Albany & Eastern RR Shelburn to Lebanon 2000-Present(Leased)
Willamette Valley Railway Woodburn to West Stayton 1993-Present(Leased)
The Brownsville depot still survives. After the rails were pulled in 1985, the depot was
moved to its new location in downtown Brownsville, and some cars and caboose were
added to create a museum.(3/29/09)
West Scio
This is the West Scio depot currently residing in Scio. The depot was moved here from
where it stood near Jefferson-Scio Drive crossed the railroad tracks. Southern Pacific
caboose #1167 is also set here as part of the museum.(12/29/08)
Looking south at the grade from the corner of Stayton Road and Santiam Loop. The grade parallels
Santiam Loop on the west side until it finally crosses it before Santiam Lane.(12/29/08)
Looking north at the grade from the corner of Stayton Road and Santiam Loop.(12/29/08)
Both of these views show two buildings that still stand at the West Stayton yards. It is
currently unknown if they served the railroad at all. It is clear that they have served trucks in
more recent times. The first view is looking north and the second south. McClellan Road is
just on the other side of the buildings.(12/29/08)
Looking north at the grade from Snoddy Drive. This is the last point the grade is accessible before it ties
in with the current Stayton Branch if you are heading north.(12/29/08)
Here are some wood chip cars stored on the tracks in Stayton beside Locust Street. This line, now known
as the Stayton Branch, was originally constructed to serve a food processing plant in Stayton, and was
not part of the original Oregonian Railway line.(12/29/08)
Here is the Silverton depot in its current site. It was moved downtown and is currently used
as a museum.(12/29/08)
The Mount Angel depot sitting in its original location.(12/29/08)
West Stayton
Mount Angel
Silverton
Looking north at the north part of the West Stayton yards. One siding continues through the brush at the
front of the truck. The mainline is at the back of the truck, and there is another siding just out of sight to
the right, where the rails were left in place.(12/29/08)
Here is another shot as above, except this one shows the mainline at the left and the rails of the siding on
the right still in place.(12/29/08)
Here is the siding. The first two shots are at the same location as shown in the
picture above. The third shot was taken about 50 feet south of the first two
where the blackberry vines and died back enough. With the blackberries still in
place, it is difficult to estimate the length of track still in place.(12/29/08)
Even though the current owners of this property have built this berm, this is looking north at the grade
from Highway 34.(12/27/11)